Technology and Youth Director Position
Emmaus Baptist Church in Poquoson, VA
Emmaus Baptist Church (EBC), 814 Yorktown Road, Poquoson, VA is seeking a full-time Director of Technology and Youth
The Job: We are looking for a full-time individual with a passion for encouraging youth to develop God-centered lives and a skill for utilizing and enhancing technology in church environments.
Denomination: Southern Baptist Convention BGAV
Weekly Attendance: 150 PreCOVID; COVID numbers are approximately 100 and include online and in-person
Emmaus Baptist Church (EBC) was founded in 1878 and has a long history of ministry in Poquoson. The church’s Community Outreach Center (COC) has hosted many programs and activities such as Upwards Basketball, Poquoson Community Basketball (adult and youth), senior exercise classes, and Friends Day barbecues. For 25 years, Emmaus was the location for Work Camp, a community youth project of several churches to assist with rehab projects in the area. The newly renovated chapel was the site for pre-Covid Wednesday dinners and Prayer meetings, and the sanctuary, nursery and church offices were recently renovated. In the past year, Emmaus began broadcasting worship and Sunday School on its website ebcmin.com and Facebook using Vimeo and a team of volunteers. During the holidays, videos messages from church families were integrated into church services.
As of 2018, Emmaus has a new pastor, Scott Wade, who moved his family to Poquoson. Pastor Scott began his career in ministry as a youth director, grew up in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and his vision for EBC is “Your Church Home is Your Church Family”. Emmaus, in moving to be more welcoming to young families, hired a new Children’s Director who has established a unique program with Zoom meetings and food distributions in support of families.
Now, Emmaus with its healthy budget and strong giving history is moving to enhance its technology use and develop a new youth program. Current technology leadership is part-time and volunteer, available primarily on week-ends, and the youth position is vacant. A full-time position, working with the pastor and his staff, will focus on integrating advanced technology skills into all areas of the church and incorporating technology into a redesigned youth program, increasing Emmaus’s ability to reach the community with the Gospel in new and impactful ways.
- Demonstrated Christian faith and commitment to the worship of God
- Ability to relate to people regardless of age, ethnicity, or socio-economic background.
- A lifestyle congruent with the biblical requirements of leaders ( 1 Tim 3:1-13; 2 Tim 2:1-2; Titus 1:5-9; Eph 4:12)
- Understanding of and willingness to serve within the doctrinal commitments of the Baptist Faith and Message (1963) and the Constitution and Bylaws of Emmaus Baptist Church, Inc. (ebcmin.com)
- Commitment to the Statement of Faith of Emmaus Baptist Church, Inc. (ebcmin.com)
- Experience in effective use of social media and software (Facebook, website, Twitter, YouTube and Vimeo)
- Bachelor’s degree relevant to the position (preferably, the candidate has a theological degree or is working toward one)
- Experience working with youth or technology
- Valid driver’s license and satisfactory background check
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a team environment with a leadership role
- Committed to joining Emmaus as a member
- Serve as youth director to develop and implement a comprehensive youth ministry that incorporates worship, discipleship, mission and outreach; serve as a spiritual director and role model for youth, building young disciples of Christ
- Develop and implement a youth program to which students and volunteers can understand, share, and defend the gospel through weekly Bible studies and worship, conference and camp attendance, mission projects, and community outreach activities
- Work with church leadership to reach youth in the community and develop an innovative strategic youth ministry outreach plan (ie, develop an esports program, or similar)
- Encourage students to find and develop their spiritual gifts and use them in serving the church
- Serve as technical director for all technology areas including live streaming, network, website, social media, productions including Sunday worship services, seasonal productions, special events, weddings, funerals, and other events as requested by the Pastor
- Responsible for coordinating and training volunteers, purchasing and maintaining technology equipment, designing and recommending upgrades and all technology areas necessary for success of the church mission
- Develop annual budgets for youth and technology and adhere to EBC’s financial policies and guidelines
- Participate in all staff meetings and retreats, working as a team with Senior Pastor, church leadership and staff; this position reports directly to the Senior Pastor
- Collaborate with the Youth and Audio Visual Committees, the Sunday School Director(s) and other volunteers serving throughout the church as their roles relate to the duties of the position
- Recruit, train and coordinate youth volunteers.
Life in Poquoson, VA:
Poquoson is a small coastal community and an independent city with a population of approximately 12,000 located in southeast Virginia. Local employers include NASA, Langley Air Force Base and Huntington Ingalls Shipbuilding. Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Water Country and Virginia Beach are all within an hour’s drive and provide unique recreational opportunities for all ages.
The annual Poquoson Seafood Festival is a salute to the working watermen of the Chesapeake Bay and a celebration of Poquoson’s rich coastal heritage. Each year the event’s seafood, arts and crafts vendors, and regional and local entertainment attract over 20,000 visitors to for a week-end of festivities. coastal City.
The city is served by Poquoson City Public Schools, www.poquoson.k12.va.us There are 4 public schools in Poquoson: Poquoson Primary School for Kindergarten, and 1st and 2nd grade; Poquoson Elementary School serves the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades; Poquoson Middle School offers 6th, 7th, and 8th grade classes; and Poquoson High School has grades 9-12.
How Do I Apply?
Submit your resume and cover letter to Personnel@ebcmin.com. Review of applications will begin January 31, 2021.